Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dumpster Diving

I have seen and read about the small American population who dumpster dive because they are disgusted with corporate America and the overall waste created. I completely agree with these groups of people because I am not a fan of waste of any sort, especially that of food. There are major supermarket chains that simply dispose of day old or soon to be baked goods, produced or damaged items they cannot or chose not to sale in the stores or donate to the local food banks. Once this food is tossed in the dumpsters, it is fair game for people to take at their own risk. A lot of the supermarkets will donate such items to some food banks or missions to make use of.  Being that I volunteer weekly at the local mission, I see more waste than imaginable.
I always thought that any soup kitchen would make use of all foods donated because of the large populations served. This is not the case. I am a witness to shear waste. Whenever I am volunteering, I see large amounts of good foods being tossed and/or destroyed. Most of it being baked goods such as cakes, loaves of breads, bagels and pastries. I have checked the expiration dates and noticed some still have a week left. It is all in the trash bin waiting to be tossed. Shucks! No one bothers to make croutons or crisps, they simply toss it.
On occasion, I, along with another volunteer take some of these items home and share them with others. Because of this, I am able to save a little money and have food to eat. I am not a bottom feeder but one who wants to save money and hates waste.
There is nothing wrong with dumpster diving, as long as others are able to benefit from the waste of others.

1 comment:

  1. Tell me more, Bionic! I want pics . . . how about an address to a good dumpster or two? Next time I'm in Long Beach, I'll meet you there!

    ReplyDelete