Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Age discrimination

The other evening I was watching CNN about unemployment and the 99 weekers. One man said that he will make a trip to congress in order to ask for another 14 week unemployment benefits pay out because he is, like many others, flat broke. This man was bringing in a six figure salary now cannot find work because he has been out of work for so long and not getting any younger. My father wore the same shoes many years ago. He could not find a job because of his age and the rapid growth of the technology we use today. Just because a person is older doesn't mean they can't make things work.
Fast forward to this morning. I went fishing with Blue in mind because I received a few e-mails from some fish that seemed to find interest in my profile. I explained to them my intentions about how I am being selfless and trying to help out a friend. I came across a good looking man with a nice profile. I sent him a message to see if he was real. He seemed to be. I sent his link to Blue and replied stating she thinks he, in his 50s is too old. Too old for what? The man is well educated, employed, divorced and has adult children. This is the kind of man who would treat Blue a nice dinner on the pier, vintage bottle of wine and a rose over just a six pack of beer. Heck, he is the kind of man that I would eat up in a heartbeat.
Blue should not discriminate based on age because she could be missing out on the world. I know that in her quest to find the perfect job, she would not want a potential employer to pass her up because she is no longer in her 30s.

1 comment: