Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Laundry on the cheap

For many, doing laundry can be an expensive chore because of the high costs of electricity, gas and water and for some, a trip to the laundromat. In the last few years, I have been able to cut back on such spending. I haven't purchased laundry detergent in almost three years because I use Oxi-Clean. With a coupon, I purchased a large 15 lbs. box at Costco which cost about $12 or so. I bought a 69c bar of Zote laundry soap which is used to remove deep stains. Since the Oxi-Clean works miracles, I use about a half scoop in my front loading machine. If I have extra dirty and smelly clothing, I shave off a little Zote and add to the load. This combination makes washing a breeze. With the Zote, it is nearly biodegradable which means it breaks down faster than chemically laden detergents.
It is sunny here quite often so I usually do laundry when it is warm so that I can hang my clothing out to dry. I invested $40 in a Drying Tree which is wide enough to hold a load. The longest I have ever waited was two hours for everything to dry. Once dried, I iron only what is needed and fold the rest. Sometimes I have to use the dryer to soften certain fabrics but that happens a few times a year.
Since the city where I live is experiencing a shortage in water, I have hooked up a gray watering system which allows for the laundry run off to be collected in a rain barrel. It holds up to 60 gallons which is equivalent to two loads of laundry. I use the gray water to water the plants, ground cover and vegetables in the garden. I am not only recycling the water but keeping unwanted pesky insects from eating my foods.
I do not know the average cost of doing a load of laundry may run a household but I am sure by example, I am able to cut it by half if not by two thirds.
I will add that Oxy-clean is a true miracle. It removes coffee and tea stains from my ceramic mugs, works well for general cleaning of bathrooms, toilets, kitchens and floors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment